African Centre in Toronto strives and focuses on addressing systemic barriers to women’s equality in three priority areas: ending violence against women, and girls; improving the economic security and prosperity of women and girls; and encouraging women and girls in leadership roles.
a. Gender-based Violence
ACT understands well that Violence can be broadly divided into three broad categories—direct violence, structural violence, and cultural violence or further, can be viewed through different lenses like
and as such,
b. Women Support in Settlement
Gender & Sexual Diversity Department
AFRICAN CENTER TORONTOGender and SexualDiversityDepartment.
The sexual and gender diversity department is designed to address the needs of marginalized and oppressed individuals, people, and communities who are sexual and gender minorities immigrants living in Canada.
The goal of the department is to identify and eliminate societal barriers that prevent sexually and gender diverse persons from fully participating in society which is in line with the African Center’s goal of inclusivity by bringing assistance without discrimination.
The department seeks to reach as many migrants as possible who can benefit from our robust programs and services.
The department intends to achieve the organizational goals by having dedicated individuals who will work towards achieving our goals as well as the organization’s mission and vision.
Functions of the Department
1. Developing, reviewing, interpreting, implementing, and monitoring gender and sexuality policies, and programs.
2. Designing and facilitating projects that promote the inclusion of sexually and gender-diverse persons to benefit from the organizational programs and services.
3. Promotion of socio-economic empowerment of sexual and gender minorities immigrants, asylum seekers, and refugees
4. Research the lives of LGBTIQ+ immigrants, asylum seekers, and refugees to find gaps, and provide solutions and recommendations to ensure that they live a holistic life.
5. Initiate the development of a gender and sexuality resource centre.
6. Monitoring the prevalence of Sexual and Gender-Based Violence amongst sexual and gender minorities immigrants.
7. Development and promotion of partnerships and collaborations with stakeholders.
8. Community mobilization, sensitization, and education on issues faced by LGBTIQ+ immigrants